If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We love braising beef! Depending on what cut we are cooking with we like to use wine or beer. For the short ribs we have tried both wine and beer but we prefer to braise them in beer. For braising, you can use a stout (a nice dark beer ex Guinness) or a porter (slightly mellower than the stout). For this recipe we used a smoked porter made by Stone. When braising we like to use the short ribs with the bone on. The bone adds more flavor to the whole dish. However this recipe works well with short ribs with out the bone. - adamnsvetcooking
- 3 1/2 pounds Beef short ribs (bone in)
- 2 Medium sized red onions, roughly chopped
- 4 Medium sized carrots, pealed and quartered
- 4 Stalks of celery, quartered
- 4 large cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thyme (dry or fresh)
- 3 Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Vegatitable oil to cover the bottom of a dutch oven
- 3 cups Beer (porter or stout preferably)
- 1 cup Beef stock (if needed)
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Place a dutch oven on a high heat. Pat the ribs dry with paper towels. Season beef ribs with salt and pepper on both sides. To the dutch oven add the butter and the oil. When the butter and oil are hot sear the ribs. You might have to do this in couple of batches. Do not crowd the dutch oven. You don't want the ribs to steam, they need to sear!
- Remove the seared ribs onto a plate or a bowl. Repeat the searing of the ribs until there are no more.
- If there is no grease left in the dutch oven, add a little more of oil. Add the onions, cook for few minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, celery and bay leaves. Cook for few more minutes. Add the cumin and the thyme leaves.
- To the vegetable mixture add the short ribs and the juices that have been released in the plate (or bowl). Add the porter. If the porter does not cover the short ribs, add enough beef stock to cover the ribs.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the dutch oven, and place in the pre-heated oven. Cook until the meet falls of the bone, about 2 to 3 hrs.
- Remove the dutch oven from the oven, and place on the stove top. Remove the short ribs and place in the plate or a bowl. Turn the burner on medium high, and reduce the liquid by half. This will take 10 to 15 mins. Using a blender or an immersion blender, puree the vegetables to make a nice gravy.
- Place the short ribs back in the dutch oven to warm up, about 5 mins.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs