If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I live in Texas and have seen many coffee-rubbed beef dishes, as well as many chili-based braises around town for years. I adore braised short ribs and came up with this recipe over time, adding more coffee here, a little sweetness from maple syrup there...it's a perfect for winder and the left over sauce is wonderfully all-purpose. - ThisNewView
- 4 Ancho Chilies, Dried
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons Chipotles in Adobo
- 1/2-1 cups Maple Syrup
- 5 Limes, Juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Coffee, brewed
- Olive Oil As Needed
- 6 Bone-in Beef Short Ribs
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- 2. Soak the ancho chilies in boiling-hot water, about 20 minutes. Once the chilies are pliable, remove the stem and seeds and discard the soaking liquid.
- 3. Blend the onion, garlic, chipotles, maple syrup, limejuice, salt and anchos together in a food processor. Stir in the coffee. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- 4. Heat oil in a large, deep pot or Dutch oven. Season the ribs with salt and dust them liberally with brown sugar.
- 5. Sear the ribs in the oil until a crust has formed, turning to cook evenly on all sides. Remove ribs and set aside.
- 6. Pour the ancho puree into the same pan used to sear the ribs. Add a cup of red wine if desired. Bring the puree to a boil.
- 7. Return the ribs to the pan and nestle them into the sauce so that they are mostly covered.
- 8. Cover the pot with a lit or tinfoil and place in the oven for 3-3 ½ hours.
- Make sure to taste the sauce before and after the ribs are done to adjust the seasonings. The anchos can give off a bitter flavor, which is easily balanced with more maple syrup or limejuice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Bake yourself breakfast.
Calling all recipe testers!