If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of the things I enjoy the most while travelling, is going to small bookstores. In NYC, we visited a couple of them and I brought back a handful of books that I devoured since returning.
Two of them were Laurie Colwin’s Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen and More Home Cooking: A Writer returns to the Kitchen. They are a compillation of short stories Colwin wrote for Gourmet magazine for several years. They are short and delightful stories, always revolving around the kitchen and the love of feeding people. Every story includes a recipe and most of them are straightforward and good.
Ever since reading the chapter on Lemon Chutney, I’ve been meaning to try it, and when thinking of Christmas gifts, I knew it was the perfect time to go for it – also, it was just another excuse to use one of my favourite ingredients: lemons.
According to Laurie Colwin, this chutney improves with time, and is especially good after six months. So, let’s wait and see.
Makes 5 medium size jars
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 pound brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne peper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinammon
- 8 lemons
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- Remove the zest from 8 lemons with a vegetable peeler, being careful to not include the pith (white part). Cut away the pith and discard. Chop the zest and the flesh fine with a good sharp knife. Transfer into a glass or earthenware bowl, mix with 2 tablespoons salt, and let sit overnight.
- On the next day, transfer the lemons to the pan and add all the other ingredients. Stir and cook gently over medium heat till it becomes thick (up to 45 minutes), dark brown and gooey. You will fill 4 to 5 medium size jars
Recipe of the Day
Grilled Brie Sandwiches With Honey, Pistachio, and Kale Pesto
Shop Spring Cleaning
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart