If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Food52 Review: This recipe is excellent. Short ribs are a pretty forgiving cut of meat, but the seasonings here gave the finished dish an intense and complex flavor. I'd describe it as tangy, well-balanced with a pronounced yet not painful level of heat. I’d suggest you ask the butcher to trim the fat for you. I used chili powder, not specifically ancho chili powder. Going with the idea that you don't cook with anything you wouldn't drink, I used Sauza Gold tequila and 21st Amendment IPA. Adding the lime juice at the end was a perfect touch. We enjoyed the ribs over cheese grits. - SpecialSka
- 4 8-ounce beef short ribs, trimmed
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup light beer
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven. Season the ribs with salt and 1 tsp. pepper, then cook in batches – being careful not to crowd the pan – until browned on all sides (3 to 4 minutes per side). Transfer the ribs to a platter and repeat with the remaining ribs. Pour off all but a thin layer of fat from the pan.
- Add the onions and celery to the pan. Season with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until the vegetable are soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add bay leaf, garlic, jalapeno, and chile powder. Cook for 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pot with tequila, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Cook for 1 minute, or until reduced to about 2 Tbs.
- Add all the ribs back into the pot. Pour the tomatoes and beer and 1 cup water over the ribs. Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover, and put the pot in the oven. Cook, turning the ribs occasionally, until they are fork tender, about 3 hours.
- Transfer the ribs to a serving platter or dish. Let the sauce and solids sit in the pot for a few minutes to cool and with a shallow spoon, skim off as much of the fat as possible from the surface. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in the lime juice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Caesar Salad Goes Vegan
You won't believe it's not anchovies.
Caesar salad goes vegan.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Connect with us.
Soffritto's a superstar.
This is poppin'.