If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been increasingly into making entree salads rather than just side salads, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Roasting the apples and asparagus means you don't have to have perfectly fresh produce (this is a great "using up things in the kitchen" recipe), and it also gives them a deeper, more caramelized flavor. You can really substitute any favorite fruit-veggie combo here - pears would be a good apple substitute, for instance, or green beans for the asparagus. Paired with greens, chicken, and a simple dressing, this salad makes a great lunch or dinner. I top it with a bit of blue cheese for extra tang. —cupcakemuffin
For the Salad
- 8 spears asparagus
- 1 apple, peeled and cubed
- Olive oil
- 1 chicken breast, pounded 1/2-inch thick
- Spray oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups baby greens
- Mustard Vinaigrette, recipe below
- 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the asparagus and apple with olive oil, and spread on a foil-lined baking sheet in one even layer. Roast until tender.
- Meanwhile, spray a nonstick skillet with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and then cook in the skillet until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Make the vinaigrette: place the oil, vinegar, and mustard in a small jar and shake until combined. Season with salt and pepper, and then taste on a piece of lettuce. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces, and cube the chicken. Toss the asparagus and chicken with the apple, baby greens, and vinaigrette. Divide among two plates and top with crumbled blue cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Your New Main Squeeze
A tart, sunny lemon bar cheesecake
Lemon bar cheesecake takes the cake.
Recipe of the Day
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.