If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There are hundreds of ways of making this traditional Passover spread, one of the elements on the seder plate. You can use any kind of apples, dates and raisins you want — I usually use a granny smith apple and white raisins, but other kinds of fruit will give you charoset as well, albeit with a slightly different flavor. I suspect that when the recipe was handed to me, the weight of the dates did not include the pits, and thus that version produced a sweeter charoset. Since I do not celebrate the Seder but love this spread, I serve it on apple slices dipped in a vinaigrette as a salad course and everyone can not get enough of it. Either way, I’m pleased with my result. —Stockout
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and sliced
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or walnut oil
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and minced
- 1 1/2 ounce of pitted dates
- 4 ounces of white raisins
- 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Juice of 1/2 an orange or 2 tablespoons prepared orange juice
- Place dates, raisins, cinnamon, walnuts and orange juice into a processor and process till it resembles a course mush. Add more juice if it is too thick. Fold in the minced pears.
- Dip apples slices in vinaigrette and spread with date & pear mixture.
- I place the slices on Boston lettuce and sprinkle with remaining vinaigrette. Can also place in an endive leaf and serve the dressing on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Our Recent Favorite Recipes
Matcha-black sesame cheesecake, waffled grilled cheese, and more
Our recent favorite recipes.
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
It's time to travel.
The best vegan cookbook tips.
Put cake on a pedestal.