If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For many years, I've hated celery (especially celery root) and fennel, but tender, young specimens from my CSA share and a revelatory dish at my favorite restaurant completely changed my mind on both of these. This salad was sort of a happy accident on Thanksgiving when I realized I didn't have enough fresh vegetables (just one kale salad) so I threw together a version of this at the last minute and it ended up being a big hit. A few days later, I recreated it one evening and it went over just as well - even with me, the avowed celery and fennel hater! And it's also a snap to throw together - a bit of chopping and a quick toss with a simple vinaigrette and it's ready to go. - raspberryeggplant
- 4 small fennel bulbs (or 1 large)
- 1 small celery root (4 ounces) - or you can use a piece of a large root, but small ones taste better
- 1 large apple (about 8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the base off the fennel bulb(s). If using a large bulb, cut the stalks off and cut the bulb into quarters, then thinly slice the bulb and the stalk and fronds. If using small bulbs, leave them intact and thinly slice the whole thing. Transfer everything to a large bowl.
- Peel the celery root and core the apple. Cut both into 1/8” matchsticks about 1 1/2" long and transfer to the bowl. (Tip: cut the celery root first so that the apple spends the least time exposed to the air and therefore browns as little as possible).
- Add the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss gently to combine. Add more salt and pepper if necessary. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving to let the flavors combine.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.