If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ever been on a diet and missed the apple pie? Then this is the salad for you! It's doused in a brown butter vinaigrette and sprinkled with a pumpkin seed streusel, but hey! It's salad! - Ginger's Kitchen
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- juice of half a meyer lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- few pinches finely chopped fresh marjoram (sub: fresh thyme)
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 honeycrisp (or other sweet-tart) apple, cored and sliced thin
- 2 ounces fresh chevre
- Make the Pumpkin Seed Streusel: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, pumpkin seeds, oats, brown sugar, salt, and 3 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl. Use your fingers to blend the ingredients, until you're left with large streusel-y crumbles. Spread the streusel on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool slightly.
- Make the Brown Butter Vinaigrette: Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a small pan over medium-low heat. Watch the butter carefully- when the foaming has subsided and the butter has started to brown, add the minced shallot and soften for one minute. Remove from heat, and transfer to a small bowl. Whisk in the juice of half a meyer lemon, a sprinkling of fresh marjoram, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the Salad: Toss the lettuce, sliced apple, and chevre with a few tablespoons of the brown butter vinaigrette. Add dressing as needed until leaves are nicely coated. Sprinkle liberally with the pumpkin seed streusel. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.