If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I think apples and celery go together like peanut butter and jelly. And I think apples and fennel go together like chocolate chip cookies and milk. So I decided to see what it would be like to combine all three and use both celery stalks and celery root, also known as celeriac. Since they're all roughly the same color, I prepped each of them into distinctly different shapes using a grater, mandoline and different slicing approaches. I wanted this to be a light side salad that would perk up a meal and perk up a cloudy, dreary, cold January day. So I put together a dressing that uses citrus juice, honey and a little cider vinegar to provide some depth. For herbs, I went with chervil and chives to provide some accents. You can eat this salad right away, but it gets better if you give the veggies a little sitting time in the dressing in the frig. —TheWimpyVegetarian
Serves 4 small salads, but can be easily expanded
Citrus Honey Dressing
- 2 tablespoon(s) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon(s) freshly squeezed juice from clementines (or navel oranges)
- 2 tablespoon(s) honey
- 1 teaspoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) good quality olive oil
- Mix together all ingredients except the olive oil and whisk until the honey is completely absorbed into the juices and vinegar. Add the olive oil while whisking. Set aside until the salad is made.
Apple and Two Celery Salad
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 small celery root
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 small bulb fennel (optional)
- 1 tablespoon(s) chervil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) chives, minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) red onion, small dice
- Peel the celery root with a sharp knife, removing the dirty outter covering and the first layer of surface, much of which may be pocked. Grate the celery root using a coarse, large holed grater. Sprinkle with a very light spritz of lemon juice and toss. You need 2/3 cup grated for the salad. Add to the apple matchsticks in a medium bowl.
- Thinly slice the celery stalks. I sliced them at an angle to give it a different shape in the salad. You should end up with about 2/3 cup of sliced celery. Add to the bowl with the celery root and apple.
- Slice off the bottom of the fennel root and remove any discolored outer stalks. Slice the remaining bulb on a mandoline, selecting the thinest slices possible. You should end up with about 1/3 cup for the salad. Add to the bowl with the other vegetables. (Don't care for fennel? No worries, just leave it out since it just gives a suggestion of fennel in the salad.)
- Toss the veggies together with the chervil, chives and red onion. Add the dressing and toss well. Refrigerate for 1 hour, ideally, so that the flavors have time to penetrate the veggies.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
The best donuts—ever.
We've got the summer blues.
How we do a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.