If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is sweet, tart and crisp. I think it's the perfect starter for a heavier winter dinner. - cathyeats - cathyeats
Food52 Review: This salad is, first of all, pretty with the purple radicchio, green fennel, and yellow apple flesh. And very crunchy with a nice blend of bitter and sweet. The mustardy dressing gave it a lot of zing. (I increased the proportion of apple cider vinegar and mustard to oil because I prefer tart dressings.) The toasted pecans added warmth and a bit of richness. Cathyeats suggests it as a starter before a heavy winter meal. I suggest trying it after the meal -- it made a nice light finish. I'm happy to recommend this salad as an Editors' Pick. - drbabs
- 1 Medium head radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch large fennel bulb, thinly sliced with a mandoline
- 1 large, crisp sweet red apple, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 1 pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Combine the radicchio, fennel and apple in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, shallot, salt and pepper.
- Gradually whisk in the olive oil, then pour half of dressing over vegetables and stir to combine.
- Taste, and gradually add more dressing until it’s to your liking. Garnish with reserved fennel fronds and pecans.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Recipe of the Day
Welcome to the Malt shop.
Recipe of the Day
Cooking the classics from comics.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Memorial Day made easy.
Mortar and pestle perfection.