If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of those "I've had a rough day at work, and I don't want to cook" meals. It is bright and refreshing, and a mandoline or v-slicer makes quick work of slicing the apples and fennel. I used rotisserie chicken to increase the ease, but feel free to substitute any cooked chicken breast. You could also grill chicken breasts, slice them, and lay on top of the salad rather than mixing in. Add a hunk of crusty bread smeared with some fromage blanc, and you've got a satisfying meal. If you wanted to use this as a vegetarian side salad, feel free to omit the shredded chicken and just mix the watercress in with the rest of the salad ingredients. You will likely have left over dressing, it keeps well for at least a few days. —hardlikearmour
Makes 4 main course servings
- 2 Clementines
- 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2-5/8 cups extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 2 medium to large fennel bulbs
- 6 medium radishes
- 4-5 green onions
- 3 pink lady apples (or other sweet-tart crisp apple)
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cooled and shredded
- 2 bunches watercress, washed and spun dry
- minced fennel fronds for garnish
- freshly ground black pepper
- Make your vinaigrette: Zest and juice the clementines & juice the lime into a 2 cup glass measure. Add the rest of the ingredients, and use your immersion blender to combine. Set aside to allow flavors to develop.
- Trim, quarter and core the fennel bulbs, then thinly slice the fennel into strips. Place into a large bowl. Remove the stem end from the radishes, halve them from pole to pole, then thinly slice starting at the stem end, and discarding the root ends. Add radish slices to bowl. Thinly slice white and light green parts of the onions; add them to the bowl. Quarter and core the apples, then slice into thin slices, slices oriented through the equator (not pole to pole); add to bowl. Add the parsley to the bowl. Pour about 1/3 of your dressing into the bowl, and toss well to coat. You want to make sure the apples slices get fully (but lightly) coated so they don't brown. Add the shredded chicken to the bowl and toss to combine. Taste a bite, and add additional salt or more dressing if needed.
- Mix the watercress with enough dressing to lightly coat. Taste and add salt or more dressing if needed.
- Place a bed of watercress on each plate. Top with the remaining salad mix. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with chopped fennel fronds. Grind fresh black pepper over salads to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
A can-do tool.