If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is adapted and updated for 21st century palates, from a recipe for "Dutch Salad" in the 1960 edition of Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household Management. The old version is a chopped salad with (gasp!) mayo dressing and Romaine lettuce bed: I livened and freshened up the ingredients and arrangement. If you're a herring fan, you'll love this: it's sweet, tangy, and a tiny bit spicy. - ArchaeoCook
For the Salad
- 2 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- 2 new potatoes, each 2" in diameter
- 2 beets, each 2" in diameter
- 1 Gala apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Dill pickle, thinly sliced crosswise
- 8 pieces pickled herring
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 2 teaspoons picking juice from herring
- Ground pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until tender (about 20 minutes), rinse in cold water, and slice thin. Simmer the beets until done (about 20 minutes - or microwave, covered, for 6), rinse in cold water, and slice thin.
- Arrange the potatoes, beets, apple, pickles, and herring on top of the arugula. Sprinkle chopped onion on top.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, drizzle dressing over the salad, and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce