If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is simple to make, with few ingredients, and tastes delicious. The tartness of the apples is accented well by the crumbled bacon and sharp flavor of the blue cheese. And what better way to top off the salad than with a warm bacon vinaigrette to see us through the cold winter months.*This recipe was inspired by Bobby Flay's chopped apple salad. I used toasted pecans instead of walnuts, developed a warm bacon vinaigrette instead of using his pomegranate dressing and subbed spinach for romaine to give it a more Cobb salad feel. - Table9 —Table9
Food52 Review: Table9's chopped apple salad is culinary perfection. The warm bacon vinaigrette (flavored with shallot, dijon mustard, honey, and brown sugar) is heavenly— I could happily sip it as an aperitif. Toasted pecans, blue cheese crumbles, bacon bits, apple cubes, and chopped romaine combine beautifully, delivering lots of crunchy crispness and lively, contrasting flavors. Honestly, this is one of the best salads I have eaten anywhere. Enjoy it as a main or first course. (I successfully substituted balsamic for the red wine vinegar.) —AppleAnnie
Chopped Apple Salad
- 6 ounces Blue Cheese crumbles
- 6 Granny Smith Apples, Cored and Diced
- 1 Medium Head of Romaine, Chopped
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans, Lightly Toasted in the Oven
Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
- 10 Slices of Thick-Sliced Bacon, Diced
- 1 Medium Shallot, Minced
- 2/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Honey
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and cook diced bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and place on paper towel. Discard all except 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings.
- Add shallots to bacon drippings in the skillet and cook for one minute.
- While shallots heating, in a small bowl whisk red wine vinegar, light brown sugar, Dijon mustard and maple syrup. Pour and mix together with shallot and bacon drippings in the skillet. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl toss apples, romaine, pecans and blue cheese crumbles, and as much vinaigrette as you prefer. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.