Author Notes: I've been experimenting a lot lately with different salads to bring to work for lunch, having gotten a little bored of just lettuce and chopped vegetables. I once had a chopped salad that I loved with apples, beets, cheeses, nuts and avocado, but I wanted to make something a little lighter, so just kept the beets and apples with a kind of sharp dressing. - VanessaS
- 1 red beet
- 1 Gala Apple
- 4 tablespoons roughly chopped mint
- juice of 1 lime
- zest of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400. Wrap beet in foil and roast for 1 hour, until tender. Remove from oven, let cool and remove skin. The skin should slip off.
- Dice apple and beet into 1/2 inch pieces. Place in medium bowl with mint.
- Squeeze the juice from the grated ginger into a small bowl. Add the lime juice, zest, oil and salt, Whisk to combine and toss with the apple mixture.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples