If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There's a great sandwich place in town, called MeatCheeseBread that makes a phenomenal B.L.B sandwich. It's their winter version of a B.L.T. and it's made when there are no tasty slicing tomatoes around. The last B stands for roasted golden beet. The use of the beet instead of the tomato seemed inspired to me, so I threw the idea into a Cobb salad. It was good, but missing something. The beet added a nice earthy sweetness, but the tang from a good tomato was missing. This weeks contest theme gave me an idea - why not add some tart apple to the mix? —hardlikearmour
- 1 head romaine, rinsed & drained well
- 12 ounces smoked turkey breast (about 2 slices 1/2-inch thick from the deli)
- 8 ounces bleu cheese
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 medium to large golden beets, roasted and peeled
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored
- 1 large Hass avocado
- 3 ounces pancetta cooked until crisp
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Chop romaine into ribbons: quarter large and halve small leaves lengthwise, then cut into half inch slices. Chop turkey, cheese, eggs, beets, apples, and avocado into approximately half inch sized pieces. Combine chopped ingredients in a large bowl with pancetta (if it was sliced pancetta, coarsely chop or crumble into the bowl.) Add the lemon juice and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to coat all ingredients. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve & eat with gusto!
- Note: you could easily substitute chicken breast or plain turkey breast & use smoked bacon in place of pancetta.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
A Grain of Truth
When to switch up salts
The truth about salt swaps.
Our recent favorite recipes.
It's time to travel.
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
Put cake on a pedestal.