If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After shoveling over 2 feet of snow I have just come in with a fresh cup. You can of course use shaved ice if fresh snow is not readily available. I decided it was high time to open that beautiful bottle of St. Germaine. Elders truly deserve this dessert treat, whether you have to shovel yourself out or not. It is a delightfully elegant winter pick- me-up. - Sagegreen
- 1/2 cup grated crisp apple
- 1 cup Stoli vodka
- If you have time to make apple vodka, it is nice to have on hand. If not, just can certainly use plain vodka. I have not tried the commercially available apple vodkas, so I do not know how good they might be. In a small mason jar add your grated crisp apple. A Fuji, honeycrisp or green apple will work well.
- Pour the vodka over the grated apple. Refrigerate overnight. Strain the apple out the next morning and store the infused vodka chilled for future uses. This will last for many drinks.
The fruit salad
- juice from 1/2 orange (blood red if available)
- juice from 1/2 lemon (Meyer's if available)
- 1/2 crisp apple sliced into thin fans
- 2 fresh sliced lychee nuts, optional (with stem removed, outer skin peeled off, and inner brown shiny seed removed)
- segments cut from 1/2 orange (blood if available)
- 1 tablespoon fresh peeled ginger sliced thinly with a mandolin
- seeds from 1/4 pomegranate
- 3/4 cup shaved ice or fresh, clean snow
- 1/2 ounce apple vodka
- 1/2 ounce St. Germaine elderflower liqueur
- thin apple slice for garnish
- Bath the sliced apple fans in the juice of the orange and lemon for at least 10 minutes.
- Gather all the fruits and ginger for assembly.
- In a chilled martini glass add your shaved ice or fresh snow.
- Arrange the fruits on top. Begin with the apples, then the oranges and optional lychees, ending with the ginger and pomegranate. Let half of the orange and lemon juice drip to the bottom. Reserve the other half for another drink for a pal.
- Pour the apple vodka and ginger liqueur on top. If you want to convert this to a drink, reduce the fruit and double the spirits instead. Garnish with an apple slice. Serve immediately with a spoon. Savor slowly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Tags: adult friendly