Author Notes: I recently made duck prosciutto (I followed the Michael Ruhlman Charcuterie recipe) for "Charcutepalooza". Duck prosciutto is very rich (fatty), and I like putting it in a salad with sweet and crunchy apples to balance out this richness. You can use any type of prosciutto (or substitute smoked duck breast- D'Artagnan makes a good one) in this recipe if you don't happen to have duck prosciutto on hand :) - WinnieAb
- 2-3 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 crunchy apple, preferably a Honeycrisp or Fuji, peeled if not organic and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 10-12 bite-sized, very thin slices of prosciutto (I used homemade duck prosciutto)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper- to taste
- Toss the salad ingredients (spinach, apple, cashews, prosciutto) in a medium bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the dressing ingredients (minced shallot, olive oil and rice vinegar and maple syrup) and pour over the salad.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper before serving, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples