If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Horseradish is not my favorite thing to eat, but when I found myself with a fresh nub of it recently, I decided to try pairing it with one of my very favorite things to eat—apples. It makes for a nice side dish for simply grilled chicken, or eat it as a zippy afternoon snack. - vvvanessa - vvvanessa
Food52 Review: I’d hazard a guess that most users of this site already possess most of the ingredients for this pleasantly surprising salad in their late winter/early spring larders: a tart apple, a stalk of celery, some kind of roast-able nut, Greek yogurt and a couple of key condiments. This kicker to waking up this salmagundi of larder leftovers is the horseradish, and it carries out its culinary duty really, really well. The only tough decision about making this salad is whether to serve it as a starter, a side or a dessert. - cheese1227 - cheese1227
- 1/4 cup sour cream (Greek yogurt is a fine substitution)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 large apple that has a good amount of tartness, like Granny Smith, Sierra Beauty, or Honeycrisp, unpeeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 stalk of celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted hazenuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- celery salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, horseradish, lemon juice, mustard, and 1-3 dashes of Tabasco (less is more).
- Fold in the apples, celery, and nuts. Season with kosher salt (about 1/4 teaspoon) and a generous grind of black pepper. Sprinkle lightly with celery salt. Mix again, and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.