Author Notes: I can eat vats of this salad. And, in fact, I do. It's ridiculously simple to put together, so light, addictively crunchy, and incredibly flavorful. The quality of the ingredients here is key; use the most premium ones you can find, particularly with regards to the olive oil and cheese (try a Pecorino or Asiago as a substitute). My favorite apple to use is one that is above all very crispy; after that, I look for tartness. The Sierra Beauty here in California is a new and welcome discovery for me and works perfectly in this salad. Braeburn or Honeycrisp would work well, too. - vvvanessa
- 1 large, crunchy, tart-sweet apple cut into slices about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 heaping tablespoon fennel fronds
- 1/4 cup roasted hazelnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virign olive oil (something that's very tasty on its own)
- juice of half of a lemon
- 1 ounce Parmigiano of choice, either cut into small chunks or shaved into wide strips
- kosher salt
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl, adding the salt to taste (a generous pinch should do).
- Grab a fork and have at it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples