If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I can eat vats of this salad. And, in fact, I do. It's ridiculously simple to put together, so light, addictively crunchy, and incredibly flavorful. The quality of the ingredients here is key; use the most premium ones you can find, particularly with regards to the olive oil and cheese (try a Pecorino or Asiago as a substitute). My favorite apple to use is one that is above all very crispy; after that, I look for tartness. The Sierra Beauty here in California is a new and welcome discovery for me and works perfectly in this salad. Braeburn or Honeycrisp would work well, too. —vvvanessa
- 1 large, crunchy, tart-sweet apple cut into slices about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 heaping tablespoon fennel fronds
- 1/4 cup roasted hazelnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virign olive oil (something that's very tasty on its own)
- juice of half of a lemon
- 1 ounce Parmigiano of choice, either cut into small chunks or shaved into wide strips
- kosher salt
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl, adding the salt to taste (a generous pinch should do).
- Grab a fork and have at it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
The invincible beer can chicken.
The chicest apron around.