Author Notes: This salad was born out of a mid-day meal my sister would make during the summer when we were both working (come visit us during the summer in Fire Island!). We eat salad a lot, for the obvious reasons, it's fast and quick if you want to actually go for a swim also. I used the same roasted apples and dressing used in my Crab Apple Salad and added some hot potatoes that I roasted underneath a chicken. They are covered in schmaltz and are a great match with room temperature sweet tart roasted apples, dried cranberries, and a few sharp shards of feta. The spinach goes a little wilty with the hot potatoes. It is a true pantry salad. - testkitchenette
Serves 2 (but i ate it all myself)
Honey Mustard Yogurt Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Greek style yogurt or any good quality yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mustard of your choice
- 1 heaping tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon capers
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth. I used my immersion blender to emulsify everything.
Hot Cold Salad with Apples
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- 1 potato, I used what I had roasted underneath a chicke. You could also roast with duck fat or olive oil
- 5-6 big handfuls spinach or mesclun greens
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 ounces feta, broken into shards
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425F and toss the apples, honey, olive oil, and lemon juice in on a baking sheet. Roast for about 10 minutes, until apples get some color but are still firm. Set aside and try not to eat.
- In a large bowl toss the roasted apples, hot roasted potatoes, spinach, cranberries, and feta together. Toss with the amount of dressing you like. I go for an even but not goopy coating. Taste for seasoning and serve.