If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom claimed this dip came from her mother-in-law from the 1950's. I have my doubts about this provenance as I don't think my grandmother cooked anything. No one I know makes anything like it. Sweet and sour, it goes well with a salty dipper. - HenrysMom
Makes about 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated onion (more to taste)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temp)
- 1-2 pinches salt
- 1 tablespoon minced scallions or chives
- Whisk sugar, vinegar and eggs until sugar is dissolved.
- Over low heat, cook egg mixture in a small skillet. Cook gently, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. (Eggs will not set into curds like scrambled eggs.) Alternatively, mixture can be cooked until thick in a double boiler.
- Place cream cheese, grated onion, egg mixture and a pinch or 2 of salt in a blender. Process until smooth. Scrape into bowl, garnish with scallion tops or chives. Chill several hours before eating.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.