If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This simple recipe makes a light (no cream), delicious starter for dinner parties or is a great match with a favorite sandwich. I've been serving some version of it for over thirty years. As my cooking skills matured, I have experimented with different sorts of mushrooms. Remember when "mushroom" meant only white, button mushrooms? - Lizthechef - Lizthechef
Food52 Review: What an easy, delightful recipe. I used some dried varieties of mushrooms that I had on hand combined with some button mushrooms and it worked out great. The variety of mushrooms added a nice depth of flavor, but the other ingredients did not overwhelm them. We have had some chilly days here this spring and this really hit the spot. Easy, but sophisticated in flavor. I would recommend this recipe for beginning cooks too -- it's really a nice staple recipe to have in your repertoire. - MyCommunalTable - MyCommunalTable
- one pound cleaned and sliced crimini or other wild mushrooms
- three tablespoons unsalted butter
- three tablespoons unbleached flour
- four cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- sea salt and ground white pepper
- creme fraiche
- chopped parsley
- white truffle oil
- Place mushrooms in heavy soup pot without water or oil. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add butter in small pieces. When melted, sprinkle with the flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring, for a few minutes. Slowly add chicken stock, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to either a blender or food processor. Add the sherry and blend until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the soup base, if needed, to produce a smooth puree. Return pureed mushrooms into the soup, reheat, season with sea salt and white pepper.
- Garnish each serving with a dab of creme fraiche, some chopped parsley and a drizzle of truffle oil.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushroom Soup
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.