If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was looking to use some pantry ingredients and had some portabello mushrooms in the fridge. I came up with this soup which I serve in little demitasse or espresso cups. I serve this little "amuse" with frico, small Parmesan crisps that add a wonderful flavor when eaten with the espresso. - Berna —Berna
Food52 Review: This is umami in a demitasse cup. I must admit that I balked at the cost of the ingredient list at first. Seriously, four ounces of porcini and two jiggers of pricey Madeira for an amuse bouche for 4-6 people? But in the end, paying for the very high-quality ingredients that are then combined in a very hands-off preparation certainly yields excellent bang for your buck in terms of taste, sophistication and style. - cheese1227 —cheese1227
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 large portabello mushrooms
- 4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup madiera or port
- With a spoon, scrape away the dark gills from the inside of the portabello and discard. Cut into several large pieces and then place in a 4 quart saucepan.
- Add all of the vegetables, peppercorns, salt and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Quickly reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and let "steep" for 1/2 hour.
- Place a fine strainer over another saucepan and strain broth, pushing on solids to extract as much broth as possible.
- Bring broth to a low boil, add madiera or port, lower to a simmer and reduce by about 1/3. Serve in espresso cups.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushroom Soup
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
Independence Day, the frozen dessert way
Ice cream, cookies, and independence.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
This pasta's mint to be.