If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Remember the nursery rhyme that goes, "Little Miss Muffet, Sat on a tuffet, Eating her curds and whey..."? Guess what she was eating cottage cheese ! :) In fact, a little known fact about cottage cheese is that's how it got it's name. It was named "Cottage Cheese" because it was made in cottages, which are small country houses. That was my lesson for the day !
Paneer as we call it in India is a very common dish among North Indians and if you Google, you will find a zillion ways of preparing them. My initial plan was to prepare chilly paneer but then yesterday night we had some real spicy dinner; so I thought of making it tangy with a little bit of kick! ;) - Kankana
Serves 3 to 4
- 1 pound paneer / cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 2 cups chopped spring onions/green onions
- 10-12 pearl onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs soya sauce
- 1 tbs vinegar
- 1 green chilly
- 1 tbs chilly flakes
- 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs lime zest
- salt and pepper
- Cut the paneer/cottage cheese into cube size pieces
- In a big bowl combine the paneer with soya sauce, vinegar, finely chopped garlic, chilly flakes, lemon juice with some salt and ground pepper Let it marinate for about 15 minutes
- In a pan heat 3 spoon oil and fry the paneer pieces in low heat, avoid over frying it. Make sure all the sides are cooked properly, take it out and put in a separate plate. (It should take about a minute or two in each side)
- In the same pan add the grated onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add the pearl onions , chopped spring onion and finely chopped green chilly including the left over marinate from the bowl and cook for another 5 minutes Combine the fried paneer in the pan and stir properly to mix everything . Taste for salt and add some if it's not enough. (At this stage if you want more heat you can more chilly flakes)
- Finally add the lime juice and the lime zest and toss it properly. Serve it hot and garnish with some lime slices.
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Lettuce love vegetables.
This is poppin'.