If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe came about because of a carameltastrophe. My husband and I were invited to a dinner party, and I always like to bring something. I decided to make a batch of Smoked Tea Caramels. For some reason I was thinking I was making a half-batch, and used my 3-quart sauce pan. When I added the cream the caramelized sugar and cream mixture bubbled over to create a burning mess on my glass stove top. Luckily I did not get hurt! I set the pan aside figuring I'd just toss it, but once I had gotten my mess cleaned up I decided to turn it into caramel sauce instead. When the dip contest was announced I was thinking about doing a riff on my Pumpkin Spice Tiramisu as a sweet dip. Since I had a ton of caramel sauce I decided to use it instead. For adult gatherings I recommend the optional alcohol as I think it adds pizzazz. - hardlikearmour
Makes about 3 cups
- 3/4 cup of your favorite caramel sauce
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or brandy (optional)
- instant espresso powder as garnish
- If your caramel sauce is not a pouring consistency at room temperature, heat it briefly in the microwave and add a tablespoon or two of your whipping cream to thin. Allow to cool in the fridge to no warmer than room temperature.
- In a medium bowl combine caramel sauce, mascarpone, espresso powder, vanilla extract (1 tsp if using rum or brandy, 2 tsp if not), and rum or brandy. Whisk together until combined. Whisk in whipping cream about 1/3 cup at a time until stiff-peak consistency.
- Transfer mixture to serving bowl, and sprinkle with instant espresso powder. Serve with lady fingers, toasted slices of angel food or sponge cake, or fruit slices. It's surprisingly good on bananas!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.