Author Notes: I made a batch of these for my Grandmother, shortly before she passed away. I can't eat these without thinking of her, and the sweet, close-mouthed smile she always gave me.
http://rochellebilow.com/2010/05/chocolate-orange-cookies/ - Rochelle Bilow
Makes quite a lot
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 oranges, zested with a microplane
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In either a stand or hand-held electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and soft, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla and orange zest and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients - flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter-sugar-egg mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold in with a spoon. (I waited until all the cookies were on baking sheets and individually placed five chocolate chips in each one, but in retrospect that seems awfully fussy.)
- Plop teaspoon-sized balls on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for roughly 10 minutes. Remove from tray and cool on a wire rack, or, as my mother always does, on a brown paper grocery bag.