If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I grew up eating this in a divey little Mexican beach town on the Gulf of California during family vacations. We'd sit at an outdoor stall in our swimsuits and it was served in a tall sundae glass with a long spoon and lots of ritz crackers and hot sauce. My parents always drank corona (straight from the factory in town) and I drank coke in a bottle, a perfect apres beach snack. It was always exclusively shrimp in Rocky Point, but now I make it with shrimp and scallops or a nice firm white fish if I have someone with shellfish allergies. Serve with a big bowl of the best quality corn chips you can find or even better make your own, it's worth it. —MGrace
Serves many or two for dinner
To 'cook' the shellfish
- 1 pound shrimp, scallop or firm white fish chopped into 1/2" pieces (you can do a combo of shellfish, but I wouldn't mix shellfish with fish)
- 1 cup lime juice + zest from the limes
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-4 tablespoons hot sauce (something vinegary, not tabasco style)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, finely diced
- 1/2 cup jicama, finely diced
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 avocado, diced
- a couple of sprigs of green onion for garnish
- big bowl of corn tortilla chips
- This step is optional, but it will speed up the process if you want to serve for dinner tonight. Bring a pot of water to boil. Poach the shellfish or fish for one minute and drain, running under cold water.
- Add shellfish or fish to cup of lime juice + zest. Marinate in the fridge for as long as needed to finish cooking the fish. It is cooked when it is completely opaque and firm to the touch, approximately 1 hour for poached fish, 4 -6 hours if starting from raw.
- Drain the shellfish (but do not rinse) and make sure the all pieces are small enough to be in a dip and fit on a chip.
- Mix together all the sauce ingredients (minus the avocado). At this point the recipe is pretty fluid. Add what you like, leave out what you don't.
- Gently stir in the shellfish and avocado. And then taste, add more hot sauce, lime, salt, ketchup as needed. This is a fairly chunky dip with enough sauce to hold things together, if things get too watery just add a little more ketchup.
- Garnish with green onion and serve with tortilla chips and a margarita!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.