If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fennel and seafood is a favorite combination. The subtle flavors of the fennel do not compete with the fish or shellfish. The rice pasta is like a risotto, but even easier and quicker to prepare. Feathery fennel fronds and spicy fennel seeds compliment their source and make a fine finish for the scallops. —dymnyno
- 2 large fennel bulbs (about 2 pounds), reserve the feathery fronds
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 to 2 cups water
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 3/4 cup shallots, medium dice
- 1 1/2 pounds Dayboat scallops
- 1 tablespoon Wondra flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan, plus extra for serving
- 3 tablespoons butter, pus 1 for sauteing scallops
- olive oil
- 4 tablespoons toasted fennel seeds
- Braise the fennel: Cut the fennel into large pieces.(cut in half, then again). Brown the fennel and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add 1 to 2 cups water and cover and braise in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- For the orzo: Melt 3 tablespoons butter, add the shallots and saute until they are translucent. Add the orzo and mix to coat with butter. Then add 4 cups of chicken stock and cook until al dente
- For the scallops: Dust the scallops in a little Wondra and saute in a tablespoon of butter until slightly browned and completely cooked. You will turn them over once during sauteeing.
- Chop the fennel fronds
- To assemble: Mix 4 tablespoons Parmesan into the orzo.
- Pour the orzo onto a serving plater and arrange the sauteed scallops on the orzo.
- Arrange the fennel fronds around and under the scallops and sprinkle toasted fennel seeds over the dish.
- Pass extra Parmesan and toasted fennel seeds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Seafood Pasta
The Great Outdoors
Camping foods you'll want s'more of
The best camping foods.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.