If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This mushroom soup recipe has been passed down through the generations from our Great Grandmother. As kids we hunted for mushrooms with our grandfather and learned to identify the tasty (safe) ones. Our mushroom bounty made it's way from the forest to the table in this savory mushroom soup. - CKReese
- 3 ounces dried, shitake mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 cup carrots, finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped 1/4 inch slices(mix of shitake, oyster, and crimini mushrooms or other seasonal varieties)
- 2- 32 ounces packages or cans chicken broth
- 1/4 cup barley
- To reconstitute the dried mushrooms place them a small bowl and pour boiling water over them to cover. Allow mushroom to steep for 30 min. or until mushrooms are soft. Drain mushroom reserving liquid for later use.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute onions, celery, and carrots until translucent (approximately 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Add flour, stirring constantly, and saute for another minute. Set aside in bowl.
- Reusing the same pan, add remaining butter to the skillet and saute mushrooms until they are soft and beginning to brown. Season with salt and pepper and set aside with sauteed vegetables.
- Heat broth and reserved mushroom liquid in a large pot. When it begins to simmer add sauteed vegetables and continue to simmer uncovered.
- After 20 minutes add barley to the soup and continue cooking for 40 more minutes, until barley is tender and flavors are melded.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushroom Soup
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce