If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I call this the mother of all Pad Thai recipes. Basically because this is my mom's recipe. Really. Authentic. Thai. I rarely make this dish because my technique does not do it justice. And also because when she makes this dish, the recipe is fluid; changing each time she makes it, with a little more of this and a little less of that. This is just my observation from trying to keep up with her in the kitchen. It's really about the sauce and the noodles. From there, you can add any combination of things (including seafood or tofu), but the sum of all the add-ins is what makes this dish so delicious and different every time. - edamame2003
Pad Thai Sauce
- 1/2 cup tamarind concentrate
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 3/8 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Let simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce liquid.
Thai Noodles w/Shrimp
- 1/4 cup grapeseed (or canola) oil
- 16 ounces dry rice noodles (vermicelli or pho width)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10-12 peeled and cleaned shrimp
- 1/2 pound ground pork or chicken (optional)
- 1/2 cup sweet preserved radish (can be substituted with quick pickled carrots/radish julienned)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- cilantro leaves to garnish
- Soak the dry noodles in hot water for 20 minutes and drain
- Heat half of the oil and stir fry the garlic until golden
- Add the ground meat and cook until browned. Drain the cooked meat. Separate to a bowl.
- Stir fry shrimp until pink. Add to bowl of ground meat and garlic.
- Pour the pad thai sauce in a pan (large enough for everything) and bring to a boil
- Add the drained noodles, turning and fluffing with a fork until the noodles are covered with the sauce. Be careful not to let the noodles stick to the pan.
- Remove the noodles from the pan.
- Heat the remaining oil and scramble the eggs.
- Lower the heat and add in the noodles, meat, shrimp and remaining ingredients, except cilantro.
- Mix and top with cilantro garnish.
- OPTIONAL: Add ground chili pepper, crushed peanuts, bean sprouts, and lime to taste
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Seafood Pasta
These beach eats can't be beat.
Shore-fire recipes for the beach.
Get out of the frame.
Chocolate has a meltdown.
These are nuts to travel with.