Author Notes: A favorite restaurant of ours is Sage, a lovely little vegetarian place in a shopping center north of Chapel Hill. The owner is Iranian and the food includes hummus, tabbouli, lots of eggplant, and other familiar Middle Eastern dishes--and those things are delicious--but it also goes way beyond.
The last time we were there, I picked up a copy of the restaurant's cookbook. Here is a recipe for a wonderful cookie. - Nora
Makes 18-20 cookies
- 1 1/2 cup Chopped walnuts
- 2 Egg yolks
- 3/4 cups Brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa powder
- Heat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Beat the egg yolks until creamy. Add the sugar and chopped walnuts and mix thoroughly. Stir in the vanilla and the cocoa if you're using it.
- Drop the batter by teaspoon onto a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Put the cookie sheet on a cooling rack for a few minutes before removing the cookies to the rack to finish cooling.