If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is really a template for any veggie soup recipe -- it works great with carrots, zucchini, potatoes (you can also add them to thicken other types), and so forth. And you can pair them with whatever spices and herbs makes sense to you (carrots and ginger, potatoes and thyme, etc.). The only special kitchen item you need is an immersion blender, which everyone should have anyway. Also: a great addition is sausage or bacon, sauteed at the beginning, removed and then added back in at the end. —bluepepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (or more, to taste) of ginger
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (optional), chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 2-3 squash (butternut, acorn, summer, even zucchini... really anything except spaghetti), seeded, peeled and chopped
- Chicken or veggie stock, pref. low sodium (probably 2-3 cans or one of those big cardboard things), or, in a pinch, salted water
- 1-2 teaspoons Cinnamon, star anise or, my favorite, Chinese 5-spice powder and/or fresh Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a stockpot, saute onion in olive oil over medium heat til translucent. Add ginger and garlic and saute another minute or two (don't burn the garlic).
- Add carrots and squash. Stir. Add stock to cover. Add spices. (You can also add dried herbs like thyme, or a couple of bay leafs.)
- Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cover. Cook til squash and carrots are soft. (20 minutes?)
- REMOVE CINNAMON (IF USING STICK), STAR ANISE AND/OR BAY LEAVES!!
- Turn off heat. Blend til smooth(ish). You can also leave it chunky if you want. Add S & P to taste.
The Spice is Right
Recipes that put a dent in that za'atar stash
Za'atar: the spice with zip.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
The knots you should know.
Have a ball (jar).