If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'd been waiting for an opportunity to make Raymond Blanc's tomato flavoured liquid gold. I modified his recipe by omitting the celery, adding green peppercorns for a fresh, spicy taste and using a mixture of red and yellow cherry tomatoes in a 2-1 ratio as opposed to all red . And then I cured some salmon and employed the help of wonton skins to bring my ravioli together with other ingredients. Smoked salmon works well if you have neither the time nor inclination.
And if you don't feel like making your own ravioli - storebought works well! —Kitchen Butterfly
Makes 12 - 14 ravioli
Seafood Ravioli in Tomato Essence Consommé
- 6 king prawns, shelled ( about 200g)
- 50g cured or smoked salmon
- 1 teaspoon microplaned lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander/cilantro stems
- 1 1/2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- Salt and chili sauce, to taste
- 24 - 28 wonton skins, defrosted if frozen
- Portion tomato essence (recipe below)
- Pesto to serve
- With a knife, roughly chop king prawns and salmon till bitty. Put in a bowl with the lemon zest, coriander stems, cream fraiche. Season to taste with salt and finish with a touch of chili sauce - I used some homemade yellow chili sauce.
- Lay 12 - 14 of the wonton wrappers out on a flat work surface (the other 12 - 14 will form the lids). Fill a small bowl with water and then wet the edges of the wonton wrappers. Using a teaspoon, mound some filling in the centre of each wrapper. Top to cover with the remaining wrappers, placing them so they align with the squares beneath. Press down to seal, ensuring you press out the air. Using a crinkled cookie cutter, shape the ravioli into circles. Sizes will vary but I used a large cutter such that only only 1mm or 2 was snipped up from the sides.
- Bring 2 litres of water to a strong boil in a large saucepan. Salt and then carefully place the ravioli in the water, moving them gently at first so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan. After a minute or so they will float to the top. Continue boiling gently for about 3 - 4 minutes till the wonton wrappers pucker and turn translucent.
- While the ravioli cooks, gently warm up the tomato essence.
- Remove the cooked ravioli with a slotted spoon and add to the tomato essence. Let simmer together for a couple of minutes.
- Dish into bowls and top (if you like ) with a tiny dollop of pesto.
- 750g red and yellow cherry tomatoes, ripe and washed
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 baby fennel, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- ½ sprig lemon thyme leaves, chopped
- 5-6 basil leaves, washed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 3-4 drops Tabasco
- 2-3 drops Angostura bitters
- 10 - 12 fresh green peppercorns (or brined - rinse before using)
- Do this in 2 or 3 batches. For each batch: In a food processor, blitz all the ingredients together 5 times for 2 seconds each, using the pulse button. Repeat for all batches. Combine all batches into a bowl and stir.
- Refrigerate and allow to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes, or longer - up to 3 hours.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth/muslin and place over a large bowl, to collect the liquid gold. Pour in tomato mixture and refrigerate overnight.=Do not be tempted to squeeze the muslin to hurry up the process - the result will be cloudy and red. Instead, wait till the morning when you can decant you liquid gold into a jar and use tomato pulp for something else or discard. Mine awaits great revelations in the deep freezer.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dumplings
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Seafood Pasta
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
The craziest chip around.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.