Author Notes: adapted from a recipe I first saw in Bon Appetit, this headily scented drink is a wonderful winter warmer and can double as dessert. This ain't no Swiss Miss! - tania_deluzuriaga
- 2 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 1/3 cup best quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 whole allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 1/2 cup whipped cream (optional)
- Combine cardamom, allspice and peppercorns and use a mortar and pestle (or a plastic bag and a rolling pin) to crack into chunks. Break up the cinnamon stick into two or three pieces as well.
- Put the milk into a small saucepan over medium heat. Add chocolate, vanilla, sugar and spices and heat, whisking often to break up the chocolate.
- When mixture is just about boiling (ie steaming and too hot to drink) turn off the heat, cover the pot and let steep 10 minutes.
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom