If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A trip to Denmark in the mid '90's prompted a love of all Nordic things: amber, clogs (they even sold them in some of the supermarkets there), and food. Upon returning home, I churned out traditional remoulade, copied pastries I had eaten, and made renditions of my friend Simon's mother's recipes. Hearing of friends' travels to Finland hastened another recipe frenzy which included a Christmas where only cardamom scented pulla yeast braids were given as a present. For this challenge out of the box thinking was in order. I had about two cups of leftover strong coffee lurking in the fridge and some cardamom seeds (sans pods) in the cabinet. I had read about Rhode Island coffee milk which is basically strong sugared triple brewed coffee concentrate (a few tablespoons) stirred into cold milk, like chocolate milk. As soon as it heated up on my stove with sweet musky cardamom coffee whiffs coming into the next room I couldn't help myself but to sip it undiluted from a spoon. Enjoy it in cold milk or added to ice cream. I am thinking of pouring it over a freshly baked banana bread also. —testkitchenette
Serves depends how you use it
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cardamom seeds
- Put the coffee, sugar, and cardamom seeds in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and dissolve sugar, lower heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain into jar.
- In a glass measure about 2-3 tblsp. of the coffee syrup and then top with cold milk. I think it would be great as a riff on an egg cream with seltzer and milk too.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
The Great Outdoors
Camping foods you'll want s'more of
The best camping foods.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.