Author Notes: I fell in love with cardamom a few years ago when I started drinking chai and have found it’s also lovely in baked goods. This recipe came about while I perusing the fridge one weekend for something to satisfy my sweet tooth. I noticed some orange marmalade my hubby enjoys and was inspired to make cookies flavored with orange and cardamom!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade, melted
- 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350˚F. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Mix in egg and vanilla; stir in flour, salt, baking powder, cardamom, and orange zest until soft dough forms. Spread dough in bottom of greased 8x8-inch square pan. Bake 20 to 23 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Spread melted marmalade evenly over cooled bars. Refrigerate about 15 minutes or until marmalade is set.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips and heavy cream uncovered on high 1 minute, stirring once after 30 seconds, or until melted. Spread evenly over marmalade layer. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chocolate ganache is set. Cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Makes 16 bars.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom