If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my favorite coffee cake that I love serving to guests. It's all about the lovely apple spiral on top and the warmth of the cardamom! - Kerstin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tart baking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
Coffee Cake Layer
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350?F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Prepare the apple layer. In a small bowl, mix butter and brown sugar. Spread sugar mixture evenly in greased cake pan. Fan apple slices in two concentric circles on top of the sugar mixture.
- Prepare the cake layer. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Mix thoroughly with a fork and set aside. In another large bowl, cream the butter and sugar; stir in sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Slowly mix in the flour mixture and then the walnuts. Pour batter on top of apples in the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350?F for 35-40 minutes or a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes or until the cake comes away from the edges of the pan, then run a knife around the outside of the pan, and immediately invert on a serving platter, and cut into wedges. Makes 12 servings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
The final step to a genius dinner party.
A list of things we like.
Add flower power to your espresso.