If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've grown rather weary in recent months of the more conventional ways of eating steel cut oats in the morning, so I've developed a variety of savory concoctions, which I look forward to eating for breakfast. Initially, I started stirring in leftover dal and fragrant pilafs into cooked steel cut oats. Then I decided I wanted savory grains and rice in the morning more often than just when we had leftovers on hand, so I started making pots of porridge cooked with similar spices. This is the second such recipe I've posted. (The first -- fragrant with bay, cumin, cinnamon and cashews -- can be found by searching for "Sweet and Savory Oats and Brown Rice, (Quick Version)." Enjoy!! - AntoniaJames —AntoniaJames
Food52 Review: This is not your typical bland breakfast porridge. AntoniaJames combines brown rice and oats with almonds and spices to make something wonderful. The flavor is intriguing, and the mix of grains and nuts gives it a great texture. I had a bowl for breakfast with a light sprinkling of brown sugar and a splash of half-and-half. What a perfect way to start the day! - hardlikearmour —hardlikearmour
- ½ cup uncooked steel cut oats
- ½ cup uncooked sweet brown, medium or short brown, or brown basmati rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom (or more, or less, to taste)
- 1 small cinnamon stick, broken in two
- A tiny pinch of ground cloves (less than 1/16 teaspoon, or more to taste)
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- ¼ - ½ cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1-2 tablespoons jaggery or dark brown sugar, or more, or less, to taste
- In a small, heavy, lidded saucepan, simmer the bay leaves and spices in 2 ¼ cup water for about five minutes.
- Add the oats, rice, one tablespoon of coconut oil or ghee, and salt. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn the heat down very low, and cover the pan tightly.
- Allow it to cook for 30 minutes undisturbed. Turn the heat off but do not remove the lid for at least another 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Stir half of the toasted almond pieces into the porridge, and stir well. Taste it, and add more cardamom, but only a tiny bit at a time, to taste.
- Warm the remaining oil or ghee and toss the chopped almonds in it.
- Serve the porridge topped with the almonds. Allow each person to stir in jaggery, to taste.
- This is nice with a pot of freshly-brewed Russian Caravan or other smoky tea.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
These snacks are independent.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
49 new dinnerware pieces.
A handy saucepan.