If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Think of a hot cup of chai tea with lots of spices and maybe some honey and orange peel...mmmm. That is this cake.
Shredded squash is a great way to moisten any cake. It doesn't add any flavor, just a nice softness and texture. As for the chai tea, I didn't want to add water to the cake since that would come from the squash. Instead, I infused warm soy milk with rich flavors from the chai plus some cardamom, cinnamon, and fresh ginger. There's a lot layers of flavors going on that I really love. - dixonkitchen
Serves 8-10 ppl
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 chai tea bags
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (1tbsp for cake, 1 tbsp for glaze)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat durum flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 green cardamom crushed or ground
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 2 cups grated zucchini skin on
- 12 inch spring form baking pan
- juice from half an orange
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Place chai tea bags and soy milk in microwave safe cup. Microwave for 1 minute. Add ginger, cinnamon, cardamom to mixture and let steep while you prepare the rest of the wet and dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla and 1 tablespoon honey until well blended. Strain chai mixture and add the liquid to the egg mixture. Mix on high for another minute.
- In a separate bowl sift all dry ingredients or mix well with a fork. Add the dry ingredients to the wet slowly, keeping the blender on at low speed until well combined. Add orange zest and squash and fold in gently.
- Grease the spring form pan and pour batter in. Turn and tap the pan on your counter top to get the bubbles out of the batter.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and make a few very small shallow holes with a toothpick. Mix remaining honey and orange juice to make glaze. Pour glaze on top. Let cool, remove from pan, and serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.