If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Continuing with a theme of green cardamom and lingonberry this ice cream uses both Meyer's lemon and orange zest for accent. The origins of this recipe began with one India Tree offers for dark muscovado sugar. I have had great luck with variations from their basic recipe. —Sagegreen
Makes just over 1 pint
- 3-4 green cardamom pods
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, fage, plain
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces light muscovado sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tablespoon grated Meyer's lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 ounces well chilled lingonberry preserve
- dust with premium cocoa powder or shaved dark chocolate for optional garnish
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods. Bruise and crush them in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.I like them a bit coarse for added texture to knead into the ice cream. Pan fry them for 1-3 minutes.
- In a heavy sauce pan whisk together the cream, buttermilk, yogurt, muscovado sugar, honey, cardamom seeds, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Take off the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks. Temper with 1/4 cup of the warm cream mix. Slowly whisk the yolk mix into the rest of cream mix in the pan over low heat, but do not boil. Cover with parchment paper and cool; then refrigerate for 4 hours or more, until well chilled.
- Proceed to follow your ice cream maker directions and process the chilled mix as ice cream. Add the cold lingonberry jam and citrus zests to the whirling mixer bowl. When processed, freeze in a container for a few hours for best results before serving. Otherwise the ice cream will be a bit runny. Dust with optional cocoa or shaved dark chocolate for garnish if you like.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.
Octopi my heart.