If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sweet and hot is a favorite flavor combination of mine. This chutney is a departure from the ordinary cranberry sauce and is delicious with lamb and poultry or spread liberally on turkey or grilled cheese sandwiches.
Be certain to make the chutney 2 days prior to serving to let it ripen.
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 small tangerines, Clementine or Satsuma, unpeeled, halved, seeded, cut into 6 wedges per half
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh peeled ginger
- 1/4 cup minced candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pureé or to taste, see note
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- handful pomegranate seedes, optional
- Combine all the ingredients, except the walnuts, in a large, heavy non-aluminum saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil until the cranberries pop, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the nuts and pomegranate seeds, if using.
- When the chutney is completely cool, spoon into sterilized jars. Cover and refrigerate. Let the chutney ripen for at least 2 days before serving. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- The chutney will keep well for up to 3 months in the refrigerator stored in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Just give it good stir before using.
- NOTES: To puree chipotle peppers, add a 7-ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to the bowl of a food processor and puree with the adobo sauce until smooth. To store, put in a glass jar and top with a thin film of flavorless oil, such as canola. Each time you dip into the jar, drizzle a little more oil on top. The puree will keep refrigerated for 6 months or so.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.