If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is no shortage of spices in this recipe, yet the end result amplifies cardamom. Combined with garlic, ginger and yogurt this blend forms a thick marinade which coats, perfumes and tenderizes the chicken. I like to smear it over a whole butterflied chicken, but it's just as good with breasts or legs. Butterflying ensures quick cooking and even browning. If you can, let the chicken marinate overnight - the longer it sits the better. - TasteFood —TasteFood
Food52 Review: TasteFood turns the everyday roast chicken on its head, simply by bathing it in an intoxicatingly spiced yogurt marinade, butterflying it, and flattening it into a cast iron skillet to roast. Its incomparably crispy skin is brightened by a fragrant rub -- a testament to the benefits of grinding whole spices: you'll get so much more flavor and aroma. If you only have 3 hours to marinate, that'll do, but in our experience, overnight is well worth the wait. Note that, depending on your oven, you might need to cover the chicken with foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking if it's getting too brown. - A&M —The Editors
- seeds from 6 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 3-4 pound chicken, butterflied
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Grind cardamom seeds and peppercorns in a mortar with pestle to a fine powder. Add salt, coriander, cumin and garlic. and smash the garlic. Add the olive oil to form a paste. Stir in yogurt, ginger and lemon juice.
- Place chicken in a large bowl or pan. Rub yogurt between skin and breasts and thighs. Then smear remaining yogurt over the outside of the chicken, front and back. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place chicken breast-side up in a baking pan or cast iron pan. Bake in oven until thoroughly cooked, 45 minutes - 1 hour. Remove and let rest 15 minutes before carving. Serve garnished with cilantro leaves.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom