Author Notes: I think tofu gets a bad rap - people cringe at the mention, chefs on the FoodNetwork have been known to sneer at it. Well I happen to love tofu, and I eat a lot of it. I thought maybe if I shared some recipes others might jump on the tofu bandwagon too. This is really Nannydeb's recipe, she told it to me over the phone, and i made it. She gave me the OK to post it though ....
*** UPDATE - THE PICTURE IS WAY OUTDATED - OUR COACH IS NOW CHARLIE STRONG! *** - aargersi
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1 small green pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch whole cumin seed
- 1 (heaping) tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon New Mexico (or your favorite) chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes - fresh in the summer, drained canned ones any other time of year
- your favorie salsa to serve with
- First, drain your tofu if it's in water, and slice it in half the long way if it's in a single cake. Wrap it up in a bunch of paper towels, or a tea cloth, and put it on a plate. Put a heavy something on top (I use a calphalon sauce pot with the steamer insert) - this presses extra water out of the tofu. Let that sit while you prep the veggies.
- Chop the onion and bell pepper into a smallish uniform chop. Mince the garlic. Now crumble the tofu into a bowl - use your hands. Well, unwrap it first of course. I like to leave it in larger chunks (say, 1") as they will break down a bit more when you cook them. Stir in the ground cumin, turmeric, yeast, and chili powder. Add a pinch of salt and a couple of grinds of pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet - when it is hot add the onion and whole cumin seed. Saute until the onion is just clear, then add the peppers and garlic. Add the tomatoes. Saute a couple more minutes then add in the tofu mixture. Turn the heat up just a little and cook until the whole mixture is hot, this will only take a few minutes.
- Serve with salsa - and seriously - enjoy, embrace the tofu - it's delish!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy