Author Notes: For this recipe, I decided to put a twist on Jim Lahey's basic no-knead bread method. Cooking the bread in a hot cast iron dutch oven imitates the evenly heated bricks in a domed oven. The tight-fitting lid traps in the steam, which keeps the inside moist, and gives the outside a solid crackly crust. My version is laced with honey, but not overly sweet, and aromatic with cardamom and orange zest. I paired it with an easy to make sweet orange cardamom butter to compliment the subtle sweetness and spice of the bread. The texture of the bread is best when allowed to cool for at least an hour--that is, if you can wait that long! - Spoonwithme
Makes one boule
Orange Honey Cardamom Dutch Oven Bread
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons honey
- cornmeal or additional flour for dusting
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt, yeast, honey, cardamom, and orange zest. Add the water and mix with a wooden spoon or your hand until you have a very sticky, shaggy dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a dish towel. Let the dough rest and rise for 12-18 hours, until the surface is dotted with bubbles and the dough doubles in size.
- When the first rise is complete, generously dust a cutting board with flour. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the dough out of the bowl to the cutting board (it will be sticky). Using lightly floured hands or a rubber spatula, gently fold the edges in toward the center, shaping the dough into a ball.
- Generously coat a cotton towel (non-linty) with cornmeal. Put the dough seam-side down on the towel and sprinkle with more cornmeal. Fold the towel over the dough. Allow the dough to rest for 2 hours, or until doubled in size. 30 minutes before the last rise is complete, place the dutch oven (cast iron pot) in the oven and pre-heat to 450˚ F.
- Remove the pot from the oven. Slide your hand under the towel, and turn the dough over into the pot. (This will be messy, but no worries…it will round out as it bakes).
- Cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking for about 15 minutes, or until the loaf is browned.
- Remove the bread to a wire rack and allow to cool for an hour before cutting.
Sweet Orange Cardamom Compound Butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) softened at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients using a fork until smooth and well-combined. Serve immediately, or if desired, spoon the butter from the bowl onto plastic wrap and roll into a log. Refrigerate for 2 hours or up to one week. Serve with Orange, Honey and Cardamom No-Knead Bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom