If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake is decadent! The chocolate cake layers are from Bobby Flay’s German Chocolate Cake recipe. It is the best recipe for chocolate cake I have ever tried. The layers are very rich and moist – almost like a brownie. The frosting is my own, but nothing fancy – just a vanilla cream frosting with a little cream cheese to cut the sweetness. - Justforlicks
For the Chocolate Cake
- 2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 12 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, at room temperature (plus extra for the pans)
- 1 cup Plus 2 Tablespoons good quality Dutch process cocoa powder (such as Valhrona or Cocoa Barry)
- 1 1/2 cups Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Strongly Brewed Black Coffee, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter 2 (9-inch) cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt the 12 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the cocoa powder and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the sugars and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Add the coffee, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract and continue whisking until smooth and just combined.
- Slowly add the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans and bake on the middle rack until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 40 minutes.
- Let cool in the pans on a baking rack for 20 minutes. Then invert the cakes onto the baking rack and let cool for at least 1 hour.
- Slice each cake in half horizontally (if you are unsteady with a knife, use a piece of thread and pull it through the middle of the cake). Put 1 cake layer on a cake round or platter and spread 1/4 of the frosting evenly over the top. Sprinkle un-toasted coconut flakes on top of the frosting. Repeat to make 3 layers and top with the remaining cake layer with frosting and toasted coconut.
Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 lb. Box Powdered Sugar
- 8 tablespoons Butter, softened
- 1 8 oz. package Cream Cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Milk, aprrox.
- 3 cups Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- For the Coconut - Toast 1 cup in toaster until lightly browned. Save the rest for the cake layers.
- For the Frosting - Mix all ingredients together and beat until smooth. Add the milk slowly, as you do not want the frosting too runny.
11 Ways to Become a Little More French
Live la vie en rose.
Live la vie en rose.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A feast for the ears.
Take these foods to go.