If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was little, my mom would make us “caffé col’uovo sbatutto” (coffee with beaten egg). It may sound gross, but it’s really delicious. In a coffee mug, she’d use a funky springy whisk to beat an egg yolk with a few teaspoons of sugar until very foamy, then pour in good strong coffee, and mix it up. We loved it. This recipe is inspired by that memory. —mrslarkin
Food52 Review: WHO: You know mrslarkin from her contest-winning scones and scone bread.
WHAT: A coffee-based custard to inspire dreams of Venice.
HOW: Combine egg yolks, sugar, and cardamom into a thick, pale yellow custard, then whisk in espresso for a treat that belongs in a piazza.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Thick and frothy, this simple mixture is quick to whip together into a dessert to appease both sweet and savory lovers alike. Either spoon it over pound cake or add it to strong coffee for a bittersweet end to an evening—or decadent wake up call. —The Editors
Serves 3 or 4
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Seeds of 3 to 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 half-eggshells full (about 2 ounces or 4 tablespoons) espresso or strong black coffee
- Bring 1 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- In a heat-safe bowl that is large enough to sit over your saucepan without touching the bottom, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and cardamom until thick and pale yellow.
- Set your bowl over the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the hot water, or you might make scrambled eggs. (A double boiler will also work well.) Add the espresso to the egg mixture. Continue whisking until the mixture is foamy and doubled or tripled in volume. Remove bowl from saucepan.
- Serve immediately over slices of cake, or spoon into pretty bowls and serve with lady fingers, biscotti, or tuiles. Or, pour some over a demitasse cup of espresso—that’s my favorite way.
- Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer Contest Finalist!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Stone Cold—er, Hot
Desserts that make the case for peaches, apricots, and plums
Stone (fruit) cold desserts.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).