If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Peach pie is one of my favorites and I live for the summer days when peaches are in season and I can make one. I love the way vanilla and cardamom go with fresh peaches and decided to try to incorporate it into a pie. This was the result and I have to say it quickly became my new favorite pie and one of my most requested in the summer. —piccantedolce
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup iced cold butter - cut into pieces
- 1 cup iced cold water
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until there are pieces no larger than a pea.
- Mix in about 1/2 cup of the iced cold water and add more a little at a time just until a dough forms. Break the ball of dough in half, flatten into 2 discs and wrap well in plastic. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
Filling & Pie Assembly
- 8-9 average sized peaches
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon half & half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - packed
- Preheat oven to 425F. Peel and cut peaches into 6-8 slices each. Place in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice. In a medium bowl toss together all dry ingredients, including seeds from vanilla bean, reserve the rest of the vanilla bean for another use. Once well combined toss with peaches and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Take one pie crust disc out of refrigerator. Roll it out into a 12" circle. Carefully lay crust into plate. Place the doug lined pie plate in the freezer.
- Remove second disc of dough from the refrigerator and roll out to just large enough to fit over the top of pie. Remove pie plate from freezer. Carefully pour peach mixture into plate, mounding slightly in the middle. Dot with butter and cover with top crust.
- Cut vents in the top of the crust. Using a pastry brush, brush cream all over the crust.
- Place pie on a cookie sheet and into the preheated oven. After 20 minutes, lower heat to 350F and cook for another 30-40 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling in bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool for 4 hours before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Peach Pie or Tart
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom