If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had a homemade mideastern bread that needed to be eaten before it went stale. Using this as an instant pizza base I developed this recipe. The ingredients can be adapted to what is available in your region. The grapefruit broils up nicely with aleppo pepper on top. The olives are the bridge between the fruit and the cheeses. I used a Maytag blue and Grafton cheddar with a Vermont goat cheese. You want a generous amount of fresh chopped herbs for finish. This is the oddest pizza I have concocted, but I really love it. I thought this would work well as a brunch pizza. —Sagegreen
- 1 large mideastern flat bread or baked pizza crust about 12 inches in diameter
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup crumpled blue cheese
- 1/8 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 1/3 cup goat cheese, crumpled
- 1/3 cup thinly shaved fennel bulb
- 2 slices of proscuitto, (or capicola) rolled and sliced
- 1 small chile pepper sliced into rings and seeded
- 1 pink grapefruit, very thinly sliced into rings (no rind or pith)
- 1/2 cup green olives stuffed with pimentos, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon aleppo pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, including fresh oregano, mint, fennel fronds, chives, flat leaf parsley
- 1 green scallion chopped into thin rings
- 1 avocado, chopped, optional
- Brush the top of the bread lightly with olive oil. You want a great fat flat bread that is at least 1/2 inch thick, if not an inch, crusty on the outside, soft on the inside. Layer the cheeses on top.
- Slice the grapefruit wheels thinly (with rind and pith removed) as you would a tomato for a pizza. Arrange the grapefruit, olives, fennel, meat, and chili pepper on top. Sprinkle the aleppo pepper on top.
- Broil until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes about 10 inches or more away from broiler element. Remove from oven. Add the fresh herbs, scallions and optional, but highly recommended, chopped avocado. Slice and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives
Dang Good Dough
Beaver tails might be the best fair food—ever
Meet beaver tails.
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
Oh, cluck yeah.
A better basket.