If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an interesting salad, I must admit. It is composed of endive, which is great fun to eat with one's hands. In the spirit of Alice Waters, who prefers to eat salad with her hands, I had Heather (our awesome server for the evening AND one of my oldest friends) instruct everyone to do just that. And to add a little more fun to the course, Heather had suggested we provide the guests with rolled, hot hand towels both before and after the course was served for clean hands. I'm guessing the delicious salad was even more so with a little process, a little story. —F for Food
Endive Salad with Roasted Garlic, Walnuts and Oil Cured Olives
- 1 Meyer lemon, very thinly sliced
- 5 Belgian endives, cores removed, separated into spears
- Meyer lemon cream (recipe follows)
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, in small chunks
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 bulb roasted garlic (minus a couple of cloves for the Meyer lemon cream)
- 1/3 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the endive in a large bowl and pour the Meyer lemon cream over them. Add the walnuts, lemon slices, and sliced shallots. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently to coat the endive with the dressing. Taste for seasoning, and arrange on plate. Scatter the olives and herbs over the salad.
Meyer Lemon Cream
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallots
- 1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 2 cloves of the roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the shallot, roasted garlic, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk in the olive oil. Gently stir in cream, add a few grinds of pepper, and taste for balance and seasoning.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.